The Annual Equipment of Pipeline and Oil &Gas Storage and Transportation Event
logo

The 16thBeijing International Natural Gas Technology & Equipment Exhibition

ufi

BEIJING, China

March 25-27,2026

LOCATION :Home > News> Industry News

Saudis offer carrot and stick to get OPEC to defend oil prices

Pubdate:2019-12-09 14:45 Source:liyanping Click:

VIENNA (Bloomberg) - Saudi Arabia, the dominant force in OPEC, is using both carrot and stick to talk other members of the oil cartel into defending prices at Thursday’s ministerial meeting.

Saudi Oil Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, in Vienna for his first meeting since taking the top job, is willing to raise production slightly if other countries keep failing to meet their existing output target, according to OPEC delegates. The potential reward for complying: Riyadh will lead the way in deepening curbs.

The outcome of the meeting remained open on Wednesday evening as OPEC officials shuttled between sit-downs in the suites of luxury hotels. The precise terms of any proposed deal were unclear. Iraq, the country with the poorest track record complying with the pact, had talked about a production cut of 400,000 barrels a day, but later on Wednesday the minister said instead he favored an extension of the current plan, which expires in March 2020, until the end of next year.

For the oil market, a new deal would be a psychological boost as traders fret about possible oversupply next year, but may take relatively few barrels out of the physical market. Saudi Arabia has already been pumping significantly below its official OPEC level, and few are likely to believe that nations such as Iraq, Nigeria or even Russia, which haven’t complied with the deal so far this year, are about to start.

”The Kingdom has explicitly communicated to OPEC that it will no longer tolerate under-compliance and that if it continues, Saudi Arabia can easily return to producing at or above its current quota,” said Amrita Sen, chief oil analyst at Energy Aspects Ltd.

The so-called OPEC+ alliance has an agreement to reduce output by about 1.2 million barrels a day since the start of the year in order to eliminate a surplus and bolster crude prices.

Next year’s oil market could prove tricky. Demand growth is slowing and another big expansion in rival production is coming down the pipeline. Together those factors could create another oversupply that drives international prices back down toward $50 a barrel.

That’s too low for most OPEC members to balance their budgets, and would make an unfortunate epilogue for the record-breaking initial public offering of Saudi Arabia’s state oil company, Aramco.

Still, prior to this week, the vast majority of analysts and traders surveyed by Bloomberg considered an extension at current production levels to be the most likely outcome. Iraq’s abortive push for a bolder move fanned speculation that the cartel could have a surprise in store.

Brent crude dropped by 21 cents to $62.79 a barrel on Thursday morning. It had gained more than $2 on Wednesday.

Iraq’s status as an unlikely advocate for deeper cuts -- it has actually increased production since last year’s agreement -- prompted some skepticism about whether a genuine supply reduction was imminent.

“As is often the case with OPEC, one has to incorporate a fair degree of psephology to see what’s going on behind the headlines,” analysts at Redburn Ltd. said in a note. The additional 400,000 barrel-a-day reduction proposed by Iraq “would actually leave physical production broadly unchanged” because the group is already pumping less than its official target.

Prince Abdulaziz offered little clarity when he arrived in Vienna on Wednesday morning. He declined to answer specific questions when he arrived in the city, saying simply that the market outlook was “sunny” like the weather.

United Arab Emirates Energy Minister Suhail Al Mazrouei wouldn’t confirm which proposals will be discussed, while Kuwait’s Oil Minister Khaled Al-Fadhel said he hadn’t heard a suggestion for an additional cut of 400,000 barrels a day. Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak is due to arrive in Vienna Thursday morning.

In reality, OPEC+ has already gone deeper than the agreed 1.2 million reduction due to a combination of voluntary and involuntary measures. The group’s Joint Technical Committee concluded that cuts exceeded that target by about 40% in October, meaning the additional curbs Iraq is proposing are actually in place, albeit unofficially.

Saudi Arabia, wishing to lead by example, has pumped well below its quota for the duration of the agreement. Other nations including Angola, Venezuela and Mexico have simply been unable to sustain their production due to industry mismanagement, sanctions or years of under-investment.

The kingdom’s extra efforts have offset lax implementation of output reductions by several other nations. On average this year, Russia has implemented just 72% of its pledged cuts, while Nigeria and Iraq have actually increased output, according to data from the International Energy Agency.

“Saudi Arabia could easily reduce its official production allowance by 300,000 barrels a day without affecting its actual production,” said Olivier Jakob, managing director of consultant Petromatrix Gmbh, which is based in Zug, Switzerland. “A cosmetic cut might feed some automated buying on headlines, but that would be a rally hard to sustain.”

主站蜘蛛池模板: 澳门永久av免费网站| 亚洲欧美日韩综合一区| 亚洲乱码无码永久不卡在线| 中国china体内裑精亚洲日本 | 国产精品福利尤物youwu| 男人狂桶女人出白浆免费视频| 性色欲情网站iwww| 华人生活自拍区杏吧有你| 久久婷婷丁香五月综合五| 高high肉文| 极品人妻少妇一区二区三区| 国模极品一区二区三区| 亚洲欧美日韩久久精品第一区| 99久久超碰中文字幕伊人| 欧美精品stoya在线| 大西瓜pron| 亚洲福利在线看| chinese男子同性视频twink| 精品欧洲AV无码一区二区男男| 成人午夜性A级毛片免费| 国产亚洲人成网站在线观看| 亚洲国产精品综合久久20| 99久久人人爽亚洲精品美女| 米奇777四色精品人人爽| 扒开双腿猛进入喷水免费视频| 国产在线一91区免费国产91| 亚洲人成77777在线播放网站| www.羞羞视频| 欧美成人免费全部观看在线看| 国产精品一在线观看| 亚洲国产婷婷综合在线精品| 2022久久国产精品免费热麻豆| 看黄软件免费看在线观看| 小雪你好紧好烫好爽| 亚洲综合激情九月婷婷| a级毛片免费高清视频| 欧美日韩国产一区二区三区欧 | 国产在线精品一区二区不卡麻豆 | 一级毛片免费观看不卡视频| 玉蒲团之偷情宝鉴电影| 国产精品电影久久久久电影网|